Friday, November 8, 2013

French and Italian Cinema

I had a great experience as an undergraduate at Brigham Young University.  It was so great in fact, that it took me five years to graduate.  For the most part, my undergraduate experience was a spiritual and an intellectual feast, and in the words of Isaiah, I delighted in fatness (Isaiah 55:2).  Although film was not the main focus of my undergraduate studies, one class that I especially enjoyed was French and Italian Cinema, taught by Professor Daryl Lee.

In Professor Lee's class we read a couple of books on the art of film, watched a lot of great films, wrote essays, and then discussed them in class.  I would have to sift through my files to find the syllabus, but I can still recall (with the help of the miraculous internet) some of the films that we watched for the class, as well as some others that I have seen. (Disclaimer: This is not meant to be an exhaustive list, and I would happily add more to the list as soon as I watch them)

French Cinema  

L'Arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat
Workers Leaving the Lumière Factory
A Trip to the Moon
Un chien andalou     
La grande illusion  
The Fanny Trilogy   
Hiroshima mon amour   
400 coups 
A bout de souffle       
Le retour de Martin Guerre   
Jean de Florette  
Manon des Source 
Au revoir les enfants  
La gloire de mon pere 
Amelie   
Les Choristes
 
Italian Cinema

Roma: Citta aperta
Ladri di biciclette 
La strada 
8 1/2   
Blow up 
Romeo and Juliet 
Gesù di Nazaret  
Cinema paradiso  
Fiorile  
Il postino   
La vita e bella