Thursday, April 26, 2012

Happy Birthday William Shakespeare

Many historians believe that April 23 was both the birthday and the death-day of William Shakespeare.

Occasionally, when a Shakespearean verse strikes a chord in my heart resonates in my mind, it moves me to wonder what was the crucible that forged his character? What light of inspiration lit his mind to produce a heroic couplet in a sonnet, the banter between Beatrice and Benedict, or the Tempest?

I think that Marian the Librarian was onto something when she sang:

"All I want is a plain man;
All I want is a modest man;
A quiet man, a gentle man, a straightforward and honest man to sit with me in a cottage somewhere in the state of Iowa.
And I would like him to be more interested in me than he is in himself.
And more int'rested in us than in me.

And if occasionally he'd ponder what makes Shakespeare and Beethoven great, him I could love till I die.
Him I could love till I die."


So, this is one of those times when occasionally I'm pondering what made Shakespeare great. What do you think? What are some of your favorite lines from Shakespeare? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here: