Saturday, June 16, 2012

"Hello Seattle, I am a Mountaineer..."

For those of you who haven't ever listened to Owl City, here is one song that is fitting for any trip to Seattle.  I like the free flowing and jovial sound, as well as the care-free lyrics.  There is something ethereally enjoyable about the electro-musical style, and every once in a while the somewhat puerile poetry actually makes more sense than any contrived or somber love song. For example, in Vanilla Twilight:
"The silence isn't so bad, 'til I look and my hands and feel sad, 'cause the spaces between my fingers are right where yours fit perfectly." The music video, with cameo appearances from Shaquille O'Neil, is not the worst music video that I have ever seen.

I don't think that I could listen to this all of the time, but there are moments in each day when a catchy Owl City song (such as Galaxies) might appropriately capture a feeling of awe or wonder.  Walking under the bright and vast expanse of stars at night on the beach or in the mountains might kindle an awareness of how we humans are simultaneously both infinitesimally small and infinitely loved. As a wise man once said: "God has no distracting hobbies."

I couldn't quite put my finger on why I was intrigued by this happy go-lucky musical talent until a few lyrics surfaced that satisfied my suspicion that the artist Adam Young may have received personal inspiration to write some of these songs:

"Dear God, I was terribly lost when the galaxies crossed and the sun went dark,
 But dear God, you're the only North Star I would follow this far...
 Hercules, you've got nothing to say to me,
 'Cause you're not the blinding light that I need,
 For He is the saving grace of the galaxies."

Well done. (see also In Christ Alone)