- Those who speak of themselves as liberals "read by the lamp of their own conceit." (President Joseph F. Smith)
- "A liberal in the Church is merely one who does not have a testimony." (Church educational leader)
- "It is well to beware of people who go about proclaiming that they are or their churches are liberal. The probabilities are that the structure of their faith is built on sand and will not withstand the storms of truth." (Dr. John A. Widtsoe)
- Liberals in the Church are "those who are blinded by the mists of darkness and as yet have not a firm grasp on the 'iron rod.'" (Harold B. Lee)
"… When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. …
"But to be learned is good if they hearken to the counsels of God." (2 Ne. 9:28–29.)
O my sons, I would that ye should remember that these sayings are true, and also that these records are true. And behold, also the plates of Nephi, which contain the records and the sayings of our fathers from the time they left Jerusalem until now, and they are true; and we can know of their surety because we have them before our eyes.
And now, my sons, I would that ye should remember to search them diligently, that ye may profit thereby; and I would that ye should keep the commandments of God, that ye may prosper in the land according to the promises which the Lord made unto our fathers." (Mosiah 1:5-7)
More posts on the Sunday afternoon session of the April 1971 General Conference:
- Harold B. Lee on The Millstone of “Liberal” Religion by Ralph Hancock
- Comforting the Afflicted and Afflicting the Comfortable by Nathaniel Givens
- A Rebuke from President Harold B. Lee and Debunking the Iron Rod vs Liahona Taxonomy by J. Max Wilson
- Holding Fast to the Iron Rod by Daniel O.
- Religion, Revelation, and Resolutions by Michelle L.
- And If It Be In You It Shall Abound by Walker Wright