Sunday, May 12, 2013

Something in the Way: A Nod to The Beatles

Lately there have been a lot of songs by The Beatles coming to my mind.  There are only a few of their songs that I have learned to strum on the guitar: Blackbird, Yesterday, Norwegian Wood... but these Liverpool legends produced many musical masterpieces that are worthy of note.  While I can't possibly list all of them, I did begin to compile a list of some of my favorite songs, and I included a few that I had never heard before.

The Beatles are the best selling band in history, with Love Me Do as one of their earliest hits.  P.S. I Love You was also an early hit.  So simple. So pure.  Of course, Beatlemania occurred before I was born, but it is the kind of music that stands the test of time.  I have a lot more research to do before I can consider myself a true connaisseur of The Beatles, but in the mean time, here is the list that I have begun to compile...

Favorites (thus far):

- Something
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- I Will
- Here, There and Everywhere
- Golden Slumbers
- In My Life
- Here Comes the Sun
- Till There Was You
- Two of Us
- Michelle
- I Saw Her Standing There
- And Your Bird Can Sing
- All Things Must Pass
- Soldier of Love
- I'll Follow the Sun
- I'm Looking Through You
- If I Fell
- I Should Have Known Better
- For You Blue
- For No One
- And I Love Her
- All My Lovin'
- Across the Universe
- A Taste of Honey


I would also include George Harrison's My Sweet Lord and Apple Scruffs, and Lennon's Beautiful Boy

Here is a list of a few more Beatles songs that I enjoy (without the links):

- I'm in Love
- Tomorrow Never Knows
- Love You Too
- Love of the Loved
- Long, Long, Long
- Lovely Rita Meter Maid
- Revolution
- Tip of My Tongue
- Hide Your Love Away
- We Can Work it Out
- Wait
- Things We Said Today
- Old Brown Shoe
- One and One is Two
- No Reply
- Not Guilty
- Penny Lane
- Paper Back Writer
- One after 909
- There's a Place
- The Word
- The Night Before
- The Inner Light
- The Honey Moon Song
- The Fool on the Hill
- That Means a Lot
- Taking a Trip to Carolina
- You're Gonna Lose that Girl
- Yer Blues
- Words of Love
- What You're Doing
- Watching Rainbows
- To Know Her is to Love Her
- Sure to Fall in Love With You
- Some Other Guy
- Rain
- Slow Down
- Searchin'
- Sun King
- Like Dreamers Do
- Junk
- Julia
- Johnny B. Goode
- I'm Only Sleeping
- I want you
- I want to tell you
- Hold me tight
- Hey Jude
- Let it be
- Hey Bulldog
- Her Majesty
- Heather
- Girl
- Don't bother me
- Day Tripper
- Dig a Pony
- Cry baby cry
- Can't buy me love
- Because
- Bad to me
- Baby it's you
- Ask me why
- Act naturally
- World without love
- A Hard Days Night

Which are your favorite Beatles songs?